Similar term(s): wood alcohol, methyl alcohol.
CH3OH. Methanol is the simplest alcohol and is toxic. At high
concentrations, methanol can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and
death. Acute exposure may cause blindness. Chronic exposure to methanol can
cause liver damage.
Methanol has many uses. It is an industrial solvent and used as a raw material
in the manufacture of formaldehyde. Methanol is also used as antifreeze for use
in vehicles, a camping stove fuel, a solvent for inks, dyes, resins, and
adhesives. Methanol may also be added to ethanol to make it unfit for human
Acute exposure - Chronic exposure - Toxic