Respiratory Diseases in Children
6. Which aspects of respiratory diseases require further research?
In order to better assess respiratory health risks for children, researchers need to:
- Study impacts on respiratory health of new building materials and agents used in the indoor environment.
- Evaluate interactions between the outdoor and indoor environments.
- Evaluate interactions between the effects of the environment and genes.
- Assess effects of exposure to air pollution at different stages of development.
- Establish uniform European definitions for respiratory symptoms.
- Carry out evidence based reviews of environmental hazards.
- Develop methods for the identification of genetic susceptibility.
- Identify genes associated with respiratory disorders.
- Study the medium- to long-term effects of exposures in early life by following the health of children over a number of years.