Home » DINP-DIDP » Level 2 » Question 2

Phthalate Di-isodecyl & Di-isononyl phthalates

2. How are DIDP and DINP used?

    There are currently four producers of DIDP and DINP in the European Union. The estimated production in 1994 was around 200 000 tonnes of DIDP and 107 000 tonnes of DINP per year (for the then twelve EU Member States) and the amounts have probably increased since then.

    Around 95% of DIDP and DINP is used in PVC as a plasticizer. More than half of the remaining 5% involves polymer-related uses other than PVC (e.g. rubbers). The remaining DIDP and DINP are used in non-polymer applications including anti-corrosion paints, anti-fouling paints, lacquers, inks, adhesives and sealants.

    To estimate releases to the environment, the amount of phthalates included in articles being used outdoors or indoors as well as their technical lifetime has to be estimated.

    Technical lifetimes of different articles containing DIDP or DINP range from 5 to 30 years and the largest quantities are used in wires and cables, flooring, shoe soles and car undercoating. More...

    Table 2.1 Volumes of DIDP in different articles and their respective lifetimes

    The same information on

    FacebookTwitterEmailDownload (13 pages, 0.3 MB)
    Themes covered
    Publications A-Z

    Get involved!

    This summary is free and ad-free, as is all of our content. You can help us remain free and independant as well as to develop new ways to communicate science by becoming a Patron!