Languages:
Home » DINP-DIDP » Level 3 » Question 2

Phthalate Di-isodecyl & Di-isononyl phthalates

2. How are DIDP and DINP used?

    The source document for this Digest states:

    DIDP

    GENERAL INFORMATION ON EXPOSURE

    There are currently four producers of DIDP in the EU. The estimated consumption volume in 1994 is ca. 200,000 t/a. An increase of the consumption of DIDP is to be expected over the following years. Approximately 95% of DIDP are used in PVC as a plasticizer. The remaining 5% are used in non-PVC applications. More than half of the DIDP used in non-PVC applications involves polymer-related uses (e.g. rubbers). The remaining DIDP is used in non- polymer applications including anti-corrosion paints, anti-fouling paints, sealing compounds and textile inks.

    For the estimation of the releases to the environment through articles containing DIDP, the amount of substance included in articles being used outdoors or indoors, as well as the service life (technical lifetime) of the respective articles was estimated, as shown in Table 2.1.

    Table 2.1 Volumes of DIDP in different articles and their respective lifetimes

    DINP

    GENERAL INFORMATION ON EXPOSURE

    There are currently four producers of DINP in the EU. The estimated consumption volume in 1994 is ca. 107,200 t/a. An increase of the consumption of DINP is to be expected over the following years. Approximately 95% of DINP are used in PVC as a plasticizer. The remaining 5% are used in non-PVC applications. More than half of the DINP used in non-PVC applications involves polymer-related uses (e.g. rubbers). The remaining DINP is used in non- polymer applications including inks, adhesives and sealants, paints and lacquers.

    For the estimation of the releases to the environment through articles containing DINP, the amount of substance included in articles being used outdoors or indoors, as well as the service life of the respective articles was estimated, as shown in Table 2.1.

    Table 2.1 Volumes of DIDP in different articles and their respective lifetimes

    Source & ©: ECB "2003 Risk Assessment Report (RAR 046) on
    Di-"isodecyl" Phthalate (DIDP), Summary of the Report, chapter 1: General Substance Information

    For more information, see the full ECB Risk Assessment Report:
     Chapter 2: General Information on Exposure

    The same information on
    DBPDEHP

    FacebookTwitterEmail
    Themes covered
    Publications A-Z
    Leaflets